Dr. Sasanka Deka
M.Sc. Chemistry (inorganic chemistry), 2001, Gauhati University, Guwahati, India
Ph.D. Chemistry (Materials chemistry), 2007, National Chemical Laboratory-Pune.
Thesis title: Studies on the Magnetic and Electrical Properties of Nanosized Transition Metal Oxides and Ferrites. Research Supervisor: Dr. P. A. Joy
Career accomplishments/research experience (positions held)
Associate professor: Department of Chemistry, University of Delhi, Delhi, from May 2019-till date
Assistant Professor: Department of Chemistry, University of Delhi, Delhi, from June 2010– May 2019
Senior Post Doctoral Researcher: Italian Institute of Technology (IIT), Genova, Italy (2009-2010). Supervisor: Dr. Liberato Manna
Post Doctoral Researcher: National Nanotechnology Laboratory, Lecce, Italy (2007-2009). Supervisor: Dr. Liberato Manna
Project Research Fellow: Institute of Advance Study in Science and Technology (IASST), Guwahati, India. (2001 to 2002).
Honours and Distinctions:
1. IOP Publishing Top Cited Paper Award-2020 (India) as one of the most cited articles from India published across the entire IOP Publishing journal portfolio in the past three years (2017 to 2019). Institute of Physics (IOP) publishing, Bristol, BS1 6HG, UK.
2. Visiting Fellow, School of Physical Sciences (SPS), 2019, JNU, New Delhi
3. VIFA-Chennai outstanding faculty (Chemistry) award 2019.
4. Adjunct Faculty (2017): Department of Chemistry, Islamic University of Science & Technology (IUST), Awantipora, Jammu and Kashmir,
5. Best speaker (oral) in RSC workshop on Chemistry for tomorrow’s world, December 2-3, 2015 at New Delhi by Royal Society of Chemistry, London.
6. DAE-BRNS Young Scientist Award-2011 by Department of Atomic Energy, Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences, Govt. of INDIA.
7. Invited speaker as Young Scientist in National Seminar on Recent advances in synthesis and catalysis (RASC-11) during 10-12th Feb 2011, Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh, Assam.
8. TMS Foundation 2008 SHRI RAM ARORA AWARD, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS), Warrendale, PA 15086-7514, USA.
9. Best Poster Award in National Science day poster presentation competition, by NCL Research Foundation 2006, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India.
10. Award of Junior/Senior Research Fellowship (JRF/SRF-NET) for 2002-2004-2007 yrs. by UGC-CSIR, Govt. of India, New Delhi.
11. Award of National Level merit Scholarship for 1993-1995 yrs. by AICTE, Govt. of India.
Member of professional bodies
1. Life Member: Electron Microscope Society of India (EMSI). LM 893
2. Life member: Materials Research Society of India (MRSI). LMB2254
3. Honorary Member, American Chemical Society (2015-2018).
4. Life member: Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI). LM 1917
1. Resource person: Guest Lecture Series on Chemistry Education (Virtual), 28th January to 18th February, 2021. Department of Chemical Sciences Tezpur University, Tezpur-784028, Assam
2. Invited talk: “Usefulness of nanostructured catalyst materials in water splitting reaction” at ChemCatCon 1.0 - Reactions on Surface” hosted by IIT Gandhinagar. 11th and 12th July 2020.
3. Resource person: “Basics of Nanoscience and its applications” at ‘An online workshop cum Guest lecture series on Chemistry Education for undergraduates’ organized by Sibsagar College, Dibrugarh University, Assam. 18th December, 2020.
4. Invited talk: “Use of Nanostructured Materials for Sustainable Energy” at National Seminar “Science for Sustainable Development” organized by B. Borooah College, Gauhati University, Guwahati. September 25-26, 2020.
5. Invited talk: “Nanostructured metal oxide and chalcogenide materials for energy conversion and energy storage applications” International Conference on Engineering Sciences & Technologies for Environmental Care (ESTEC-2020), organized by CSIR-North East Institute of Science & Technology (NEIST), Jorhat, Assam, India during February 20-22, 2020.
6. Invited talk/Resource person: “Nanomaterial synthesis: Challenges and safety concerns Environment and Nanosafety in DRDO Laboratories” 18th February, 2020. The Centre for Fire, Explosive and Environment Safety (CFEES), DRDO, Delhi.
7. Invited talk / Special lecture series on Analytical Techniques: “Nanochemistry and useful Page 8 instrumentation Transmission and scanning Electron Microscopy” D/o Chemical Sciences, Tezpur University, Tezpur, 20th January: 2020.
8. Invited talk: Nanostructured Functional Materials for Energy Conversion and Energy Storage Applications. National Conference on Advance Functional Materials-2019 NCAFM, November 20-21, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
9. Invited talk/Resource person: Basics of Nanochemistry and its application in Energy sectors. UGC- Human Resource Development Centre, 8th November. Jamia Millia Islamia, 7Th 2 Week Refresher Course in Basic Sciences (Interdisciplinary Sciences). 5th November to 19th November 2019
10. Invited talk: .Introduction to Nanoscience. Miranda House College, Delhi University. 21st October, 2019
11. Invited talk: .Energy conversion and energy storage applications: Usefulness of nanostructured materials. at National Conference on Green, Sustainable and Evolving Sciences (GSES-2019) & 64th Annual Technical Session of Assam Science Society June 28-29, 2019; Cotton University, Guwahati, Assam.
12. Invited talk: .Development of 2D nanostructured materials for catalysis and energy storage applications. at Frontiers in 2D materials from Basic Science to Real time Applications, 13th - 16th March 2019, Jain University, Bengaluru.
13. Invited talk: .Development of nanostructured metal chalcogenide and oxide particles for catalysis and energy storage applications. in Half-a-day meeting/symposium at the Department of Chemistry, BITS Pilani, Pilani Campus, Rajasthan, on 9th March, 2019.
14. Invited talk: .Development of nanostructured metal chalcogenide particles for electrochemical energy conversion and metal oxide particles for electrochemical energy storage applications. at Indo-UK Newton-Bhabha Workshop on Electrochemical Routes to Energy Storage, Energy Conversion and Fuel Production. December 10-13th, 2018 at JNCASR, Bangalore, India.
15. Invited talk: .Inorganic Nanomaterials for Catalysis, Energy Conversion and Storage: A Brief selected overview from the PI`s Lab. Leibniz University Hannover (LUH), Germany-India workshop on strategic partnership, 3rd-6th December 2018 at Leibniz University Hannover, Hanover, Germany.
16. Invited talk: .Introduction to Nanoscience. at Miranda House college, University of Delhi, 31st October, 2018.
17. Invited talk: .Copper Cobalt Sulphide Nanosheets Realizing Promising Electrocatalytic Oxygen Evolution Reaction. at One-day discussion meeting on Chemistry of Nanomaterials, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore, on 17th July, 2018.
18. Invited talk: .Nanostructured inorganic materials and their applications. TEQIP-III sponsored Faculty Development program .Polymer Analysis and Applications: Current Scenario, 4-8 June, 2018, Department of applied Chemistry, Delhi Technical University, Delhi-42
19. Invited talk .Development of transition metal based alloy and chalcogenide nanoparticles and their emerging applications. at March Meeting, 16-17 March, 2018. School of Physical Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi-110067, India.
20. Invited talk .Ag1−xNix alloy nanoparticles and CuCo2S4 nanosheets and their useful catalytic Applications. at International Conference on Nanobiotechnology, February 5-6, 2018, Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Basic Sciences, Jamia Millia Islamia, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi 110025.
21. Plenary talk .Metal alloy and chalcogenide nanoparticles for few useful catalytic applications., at International Conference on Nano- and Functional Materials: Interface between Science and Engineering (NFM-2017), 16-18 November 2017, BITS Pilani, Pilani Campus, Rajasthan.
22. Invited talk .Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Department of Chemistry, Miranda House, DU, November 6, 2018.
23. Memorial lecture: Dr. C.K. Khurana Memorial lecture for Rasgandhayan, Gargi College, DU, September 6 2017.
24. Invited talk .Exploration of multiply twinned AgNi alloy nanoparticles as highly active catalyst for multiple transformation reactions. at International Conference on Catalysis and Chemical Engineering. (CCE-2017), February 22-24, 2017 Baltimore, USA. organized by the: United Scientific Group, 2088 B2 Walsh Avenue Santa Clara, CA 95050, USA
25. Invited talk .Exploration of unique two dimensional CdSe/CdS core@shell hexagonal nanoheteroplateles and CdSe/CdS-Au hybrid nanocrystals. at The International Conference of Young Researchers on Advanced Materials (IUMRS-ICYRAM 2016) 11-15, December 2016, Bangalore, INDIA. (14-12-2016).
26. Invited talk .Exploration of AgxNiy alloy and Ag@AgxNiy core/graded-alloy-shell nanostructures in catalytic applications. at International Conference on Technologically Advanced Materials and Asian Meeting on Ferroelectricity, ICTAM-AMF10, November 7-11, 2016. University of Delhi. (9-11-2016)
27. Invited talk ‘Inorganic Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Characterization and Multifunctional applications’ at the FUB-DU Joint Research Workshop on Supramolecular Chemistry and Nanoscale Systems, Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany. June 8-10, 2016
28. Invited talk (emphasis on academics and research for undergraduate students) ‘NanoScience: Big Word of small Things’ Kirori Mal College (KMC), University of Delhi, January 23, 2016.
29. Invited talk ‘Multifunctional applications of few nanostructured inorganic materials’ International Conference on Advanced materials-- Energy, Environment and Health (ICAM- 2016)March 04-07, 2016, Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology-Roorkee (IIT-Roorkee).
30. Invited talk ‘Development of CeO2 nanocube and Cu2ZnSnS4 nanoparticles for multifunctional applications’ International Conference on Materials Science & Technology (ICMTECH)-2016, Conference Centre, University of Delhi, India, 01st - 04th March, 2016 (by IAAM, VBRI press and DU)
31. Invited talk ‘Synthesis, characterization of multifunctional applications of inorganic nanomaterials’ Leibniz Universität Hannover, Hannover, Germany. December 10, 2015.
32. Plenary Talk ‘Multifunctional Inorganic Nanocrystals: Synthesis, characterization and applications’ Seminar on nanochemistry, Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, technology and sciences, Allahabad, UP. 11-12 Nov, 2014.
33. Invited talk ‘Synthesis, characterization and applications of multifunctional inorganic nanoparticles’ NanoSci-2014, IASST, Guwahati, Assam. 20-21 December 2014.
34. 1st International Conference on Emerging Trends of Nanotechnology in Drug Discovery, 26-27 May 2014, Sri Venkateswara College, University of Delhi and Department of Biochemistry, University of Delhi South Campus.
35. Resource person: Nanomaterials by solution based chemical synthesis procedures, 20th May 2014, Refresher course in Basic Sciences (Interdisciplinary), UGC-Academic Staff College, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
36. Science Academies Lecture-Workshop Nanotechnology and its application, 18-20 January 2013 in MMME college, Gorakhpur, U.P. Organized by NASI Allahabad, INSA Delhi, IAS Bangalore
37. Indo-German workshop on .New Perspectives for Nano-carriers in Biomedical Applications. 14th January 2013, Department of Chemistry, University of Delhi.
38. Invited expert talk: Vigyan Prasar EduSAT network, DST, Govt. of India on .Nano Technology an Introduction. on 24th January 2013 during 10.30 AM to 1.00 PM at C-24 Qutub Institutional Area New Delhi-110016, for the students of class XI and XII.
39. Career and Higher Education, 4th June 2012, Seminar: Career Prospect in Higher Education, Career guidance cell, Pub-Kamrup College, Baihata Chariali, Kamrup, Assam.
40. Invited talk NanoScience and its applications in Biotechnology, 5th May 2012, Refresher course in Basic Sciences (Interdisciplinary), UGC-Academic Staff College, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
41. Invited talk Nanoscience and Nanotoxicology, 22nd February 2012, Solid State Physics Laboratory (SSPL)-DRDO, Delhi.
42. Invited talk NanoScience and its applications in Biotechnology, 16th June & 19th June 2011, Refresher course in Basic Sciences (Interdisciplinary), UGC-Academic Staff College, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
43. Invited talk NanoScience: Big Word of small Things, 10th September 2010, Department of Chemistry, University of Delhi, Delhi.
44. Invited talk Nanochemistry: Basic Understanding and Applications, 28th June 2010, B. Borooah College, Guwahati
Reviewer of ACS, RSC, Elsevier, etc. journals.
Last updated: 27-03-2021
Welcome to the NanoChemistry Laboratory
Department of Chemistry, DU