AddressCentre for Advanced Studies in Linguistics
University of Delhi
Email: tanmoy at linguistics dot du dot ac dot in
Phone: +91-11-27666676 ext 108
Office HoursAutmn Semester
Tues 4:00-5:00 pm
Thurs 4:00-5:00 pm
Winter Semester Wed 3:00-5:30
And by appointment
Tanmoy Bhattacharya (PhD, UCL, 1999 as a Commonwealth Scholar) joined the Department of Linguistics, University of Delhi in 2001 as an Associate Professor after a postdoctoral stint as a research scientist in the Cognitive Science Group of the University of Leipzig, Germany. He specilises in Syntax and has also guided research on Sign Language, Psycholinguistics, Parsing, Conversational Analysis, Sociolinguistics, Gender and Disability. He is also the founder secretary of FOSSSIL. Outside of Linguistics, he works in Disability Studies.
Recent Papers and Talks
- (forthcoming in 2016) Inner/Outer Politeness in Central Māgadhan Prākrit Languages: Agree as Labeling”, , LInguistics Analysis, vol. 40 (3-4), 1-40.
- (2016) To Be Human: The Introduction, neScholar vol. 2.3; 66-73
- (2016) But Words Can Never Hurt: The Linguistic Construction of Disability in Text and Discourse, Language & Language Teaching vol. 5.2.10; 53-60
- (2015) Copula-less Nominal Sentences and Matrix-C0 Clauses: A Planar View of Phrase Structure, in The UCL Working Papers in Linguistics, Vol. 27, Edited by Laura E. Aldridge and Caterina Paolazzi, 1-20.
- (2015-16) Pollock-er Bakko-bhango othoba Butterfly Effect, (in Bangla: Pollock's Sentence-breaking or the Butterfly Effect), Ebong Mushayra Vol 22, Nos. 3-4 (pp. 21-32)
- (2014) Sign Iconicity and New Epistemologies,, in The Sign Language(s) of India edited by Tanmoy Bhattacharya et al., Orient BlackSwan, Delhi
- (2014) Legislation and Policies in relation to Sign Language and Sign Language Rights, in The Sign Language(s) of India edited by Tanmoy Bhattacharya et al., Orient BlackSwan, Delhi
- Sluicing in Indo-Aryan: An investigation of Bangla and Hindi, (with Andrew Simpson) Sluicing in a cross-linguistic perspective, OUP(2012)
- Diagnosing double object constructions in Bangla/Bengali , (with Andrew Simpson) Lingua 121.6, 2011
- Space-Machine, (with Hidam Gourshyam) Proceedings of Episteme 4, Homi Bhaba Centre for Science, Mumbai, 2011
- The politics of multiculturalism, (with H. Basantarani) Problematizing Language Studies, ed. By Imtiaz Hasnain and Shreesh Choudhary; AAKAR Books, Delhi, 169-184, 2010
- Re-examining Issue of Inclusion in Education, Economic and Political Weekly of India, 17th April, 2010